It doesn’t have to be fall for you to enjoy the crisp flavors of Michigan’s bounty. This warm and cozy gluten free apple pie recipe yields one 10-inch pie—perfect for an at-home sweet treat.
PIE CRUST INGREDIENTS
- 1 1/2 cups 1:1 all-purpose gluten free flour
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 6 tablespoon unsalted butter (cold, chopped into small cubes)
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- Ice water (as necessary, until dough is smooth and no longer crumbly)
PIE CRUST DIRECTIONS:
1. Combine flour, baking powder and salt and whisk well to combine.
2. Add cold butter chunks and mix to coat in dry ingredients. If you have a pie cutter, use that—otherwise break up the butter chunks with your fingers until the butter is barely visible in the dry mixture. The smaller you break down the butter, the crispier your crust will be.
3. Add the sour cream, and mix. The dough should be shaggy and somewhat crumbly. Continue mixing until it begins to come together.
4. Add ice water one teaspoon at a time until the dough is able to hold together.
5. Wrap the dough in plastic wrap and press until flat so that the dough is a flat disk.
6. Place the dough in the refrigerator and chill for at least 30 minutes.
7. Remove dough from refrigerator. Smooth the dough and roll out and form into your crust. Use additional gluten free flour on the rolling surface and the surface of the dough to keep it from sticking.
8. Shape the dough in your pie plate. Be sure to lift edges of dough into the pie plate instead of stretching the dough—this will help to reduce shrinkage of your crust. Save any extra dough to use on the top of your pie once your filling is done.
9. Cover pie crust with plastic wrap and refrigerate to chill until firm.
APPLE PIE FILLING INGREDIENTS
- 6 cups apples, fresh sliced or frozen (make sure to thaw and drain frozen apples first)
- 3/4 cups sugar
- 2 tablespoons 1:1 all-purpose gluten free flour
- 3/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/8 teaspoon sea salt
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
APPLE PIE FILLING DIRECTIONS:
1. Pre-heat your oven to 425 degrees.
2. Combine thawed apples, lemon juice and sugar. Allow to rest for 25-35 minutes—the sugar will pull the excess water from the apples. Drain apples.
3. Add the remainder of the ingredients. Mix to combine.
4. Pour apple filling into crust.
5. Top with desired top crust.
6. Bake for 40-35 minutes, wrapping in foil after the first 20 minutes to avoid burning the top crust.
7. Let cool and enjoy!