This delicious gluten free buttermilk biscuit recipe yields 10-12 biscuits, perfect for a variety of meals!
• 2 cups 1:1 gluten free flour
• 1 tablespoon baking powder
• 1 teaspoon sea salt
• 2 tablespoons sugar
• 1 cup buttermilk (If you don’t have buttermilk, add 1 tablespoon lemon juice or white vinegar per 1 cup of milk)
• 8 tablespoons cold butter
• 1 egg
1. Combine flour, baking powder, salt and sugar.
2. Add cold butter chunks and mix to coat in dry ingredients. If you have a pie cutter, use that—otherwise, break up the butter chunks with your fingers until the butter is barely visible in the dry mixture.
3. Add egg to the buttermilk and whisk. Pour this into your dry ingredients.
4. Mix until just combined. Do not overmix. Dough may be slightly sticky.
5. Flatten dough out with your hands and then fold the dough into itself twice (think of adding layers to the biscuit)
6. DO NOT ROLL OUT. Flatten the mixture into a disk with your hands. Dough should be 1 inch thick.
7. Cut out your biscuits. Be careful to push your cutter through the biscuit dough without twisting. The twisting action could make it so that your biscuits do not rise.
8. Bake at 450 degrees Fahrenheit for 15-20 minutes or until golden brown.
9. Brush with butter once they come out of the oven.