Summer is finally here and there’s no better way to enjoy the heat than with a cool and sweet Chilled Strawberry Soup with Sorbet.
This tasty recipe is ideal for hosting guests on a hot day. Just try not to eat too much of it!
- 1 pound fresh or frozen strawberries
- 1 quart full fat plain yogurt
- 1/3 cup (or more to taste) pure maple syrup
- 3 cups apple cider
- ½ cup heavy cream
- ½ tsp freshly grated nutmeg (If using pre-ground nutmeg, use an additional ½ teaspoon)
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 pint fresh blueberries
- Mango or raspberry sorbet (sherbert would also work)
- Trim tops from strawberries, wash well.
- Place in a blender with yogurt, cream, maple syrup, apple cider, nutmeg and cinnamon. Blend until smooth.
- Taste for sweetness. If you like it a little sweeter, add a little more syrup. If soup is too thick, add some more apple cider, if you like it thicker, add more yogurt. This soup is very forgiving, and very easy to tweak to your liking!
- Once soup is blended to a smooth consistency, pour into a covered container and place in the refrigerator for one hour, for the flavors to develop.
- To serve, ladle soup into chilled bowls, top with fresh blueberries and a scoop of sorbet or sherbert.
- Garnish with fresh mint sprigs if you’d like, to make it extra enticing!
This is a version of a soup we make at home during the hot summer months. When we make it at home, we use peaches in place of the strawberries; both work just fine, just make sure to grab fruit that’s in season, as you want nice ripe and fragrant fruit for this recipe.