Whether you’re searching for your new favorite dish or are feeling the autumn chill in the air and are craving some warmth, this savory and crowd-pleasing White Chicken Chili recipe is sure to up the cozy ante at your dinner table.
- 1 small yellow onion, diced
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, finely minced
- 32 oz chicken broth
- 3 jalapenos, seeded and diced
- 1 red or yellow bell pepper, diced
- 1 1/2 tsp cumin
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- 1/2 tsp dried oregano
- 1/2 tsp ground coriander
- 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
- salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 8 oz cream cheese, cut into small cubes
- 15 oz can cannellini beans
- 15 oz can butter beans
- 2 1/2 cups shredded cooked rotisserie or leftover cooked chicken
- Juice from 1 lime
- 2 tbsp chopped fresh cilantro, plus more for serving, to taste
- Sautee onion and garlic in olive oil over medium heat to lightly caramelize the onions; about 6-8 minutes.
- Add the bell pepper, jalapeno and spices; cook 3 minutes or so.
- Add chicken broth, ½ can cannellini beans, ½ can butter beans, salt, pepper and lime juice.
- Before the soup gets hot, ladle 2 cups broth into blender, along with cream cheese and remaining beans. DO NOT BLEND HOT LIQUIDS!
- When broth isn’t steaming hot, blend ingredients to a smooth consistency, adding water if mixture is too thick. Add back to the pot, along with the cooked chicken.
- Add cilantro to taste and serve with whatever toppings you like. Some favorites are fresh cilantro, pico de gallo, sliced avocado, sour cream, shredded cheese, scallions and tortilla chips.