What’s crispy, savory and will have your guests and family clearing their plates? Though small, these Chorizo Stuffed Bacon Wrapped Dates are an appetizer that packs a huge flavor punch—perfect for any weeknight dinner or a special holiday gathering.
- 24 Pitted Medjool dates
- 1 lb. Mexican chorizo sausage
- 12 Slices thick cut bacon, cut in half
- Romesco sauce (see recipe below)
- Parsley, chopped
- Almonds, sliced and toasted
- Using a small knife, make a slit down one side of the date, from top to bottom. Gently pry each date open.
- Roll chorizo into small balls, approximately .5 ounce each (about the size of a cherry tomato). Stuff each date with one ball of chorizo and set aside.
- Cut the bacon strips in half to make two equal length pieces. Wrap each stuffed date with one of the halved bacon slices. Pick with a toothpick at the seam. If you don’t have toothpicks, lay seam side down.
- Place on a sprayed cookie sheet or casserole dish. Bake at 375 degrees until the bacon is crisp and the chorizo begins to release its fat, approximately 12-14 minutes.
- Move dates to a paper towel-lined plate.
- Heat the romesco sauce on low until warmed through.
- Spread warm romesco sauce on the bottom of your serving dish. Place the dates in the sauce.
- Garnish with chopped parsley and toasted almond slices.
TIP: A crusty loaf of baguette would be nice with this, as well!
Servings: 1 1/2 cups
- 1 Large roasted red bell pepper (peeled and seeded)
- 1 Garlic clove (smashed)
- 1/2 cup Slivered almonds (toasted)
- 1/4 cup Tomato purée
- 2 tbsp. Flat-leaf parsley (chopped)
- 2 tbsp. Sherry vinegar
- 1 tsp. Smoked paprika
- 1/2 tsp. Cayenne pepper
- 1/2 cup Extra-virgin olive oil
- Fine sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Pulse first 8 ingredients in a food processor until very finely chopped.
- With motor running, slowly add oil; process until smooth.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Cover and chill.
TIP: Make it ahead! Romesco can be made one week ahead of time.