Valentine’s Day may be over, but it’s always a perfect time to make this delicious nut-free treat for your special someone.
Chef Dawn is sharing her crowd-pleasing recipe with an unexpected twist!
BAKE TEMP: Steam Baked
STEAM TIME: 5-8 Minutes
INGREDIENTS (20 servings)
- Flour: 1 ½ cup
- Hot Water: ½ - ¾ cup
- Salt: ¼ teaspoon
- Vegetable Oil: 1 ½ teaspoons
- Cream Cheese (at room temperature): 1 pound
- Eggs: 1 per dumpling
- Powdered Sugar: ½ - 1 cup
- Lemon Juice: Splash
- Vanilla: ¼ teaspoon
- Chocolate Chips: ½ - 1 cup
- In a large bowl, combine flour, salt and vegetable oil. Add in the hot water slowly and mix well. You may need to adjust the water to get the proper consistency.
- Knead for 3-4 minutes until the dough is soft and malleable.
- Spray a small bowl with non-stick spray and place the dough in the bowl. Wrap this well with plastic wrap and place into the refrigerator, allowing the dough to rest overnight. Remove the dough a couple of hours before you are ready to use it and allow it to come up to room temperature.
- In either a bowl with an egg beater or a mixer with a paddle attachment, combine cream cheese, vanilla and lemon juice.
- Beat until the cream cheese is light and fluffy. Add your powdered sugar to taste as you continue to whip. When you have reached the desired sweetness, you may add in your egg. Combine well, but do not over whip. Lastly, fold in your chocolate chips. Again, you can do this to taste. (I like extra chocolate chips in mine!)
- Dust work surface with flour and roll the dough out into thin sheets. Using a round cutter, cut out the circles for your wrappers (I use a 3-inch cutter for mine.) Cover the cut-out circles with plastic wrap as you cut the rest to prevent them from drying out.
- Place ½ teaspon of filling onto each dumpling wrapper. Pleat the dough to form a dumpling.
- Steam the dumplings in a steamer or steam pan for 6-12 minutes or until done.
- Serve hot and enjoy!